New Year Intention Setting Ritual Using Crystals
The beginning of a new year often inspires us to make changes in our lives and leave old habits behind. The tradition of creating resolutions for the New Year dates back over 4000 years ago to the ancient Babylonians. Ancient Romans also made resolutions in the form of promising good acts to their gods for the new year. However, our current tradition of creating new years resolutions is no longer a religious act, but rather a way to improve ourselves and our lives. Some people call it a new years resolution, for me its intention setting for the new year. We’ve put together a wonderful ritual using crystals for you to do this new year to help you clear away the old to make room for the new, and help you manifest what your heart desires for the New Year! You can use what you have at home or order one of our New Year Intention Setting Ritual Kits here.New Year Intention Setting Ritual Kit
First, it's important to cleanse your space, your crystals and yourself. You can use a White Sage Smudge Stick
for this. ( Check out our Blog on the topic here
if you are unsure on how to do this.) This exercise is used to make space for what you wish to manifest in your life to come to fruition in the new year. Next, you may like to take a bath or shower. While you're in the water meditate on your overall goal and visualize yourself happy, successful, and having everything you need in life. Imagine the soap and water washing away all your fears and insecurities. You may also like to visualize yourself being surrounded by white protective light as you wash with soap.Smudge Stick
After your cleanse, find a quiet place. A table or alter would be ideal. Place your crystals on the table and light your candle. It doesn't matter if you have many crystals or only a few. You can just use what you have on hand, or you may like to choose crystals whose properties match and resonate with your intentions. For example, you may choose Rose Quartz for self-love or attracting a new partner. You may like to create a life of prosperity and abundance, and you could use Citrine for this. If you are seeking to have clearer insight in your life you may like to use Amethyst. The possibilities are endless and it's always a good idea to choose crystals and stones that you feel drawn to intuitively.
Here is a list of popular crystals and their properties to help you decide which crystals you may like to use;
- Known as the "master healer" and will amplify energy and thought, as well as the effect of other crystals. So it's perfect when doing crystal grids and manifestation. Clear Quartz also encourages clarity on every level. It increases intuition, harmonizes all the Chakras and can be programmed. Clear Quartz is wonderful for any ailment or healing intention. It stimulates the nervous system. Clear Quartz draws off negative energy of all kinds, neutralising background radiation, including electromagnetic smog or petrochemical emanations. Clear Quartz
- A powerful stone and has strong healing and purification powers. It relieves stress, soothes irritability, balances moods and dispels anger, fear and anxiety. Amethyst is wonderful for meditation, as it assists in entering a meditative state. It's also wonderful for intuitive work, as it stimulates the Third Eye and offers spiritual protection.Amethyst
- The stone of love. Not just romantic love, but also love for one's self, family, friends, The earth and the Universe. It is also the stone of the Heart Chakra. It is a must have stone and ideal for encouraging love of all kinds and its soothing energy makes it the perfect stone to have around the home. It opens the heart and encourages unconditional love, trust and harmony. Rose Quartz's calming and reassuring energy helps to comfort in times of grief. It also has the ability to dispel negativity energy and protects against environmental pollution. It encourages self-forgiveness, self-compassion and self-love. A great stone for helping heal past trauma and dispelling worry and fear.Rose Quartz
- A stabilising stone, Carnelian restores vitality and motivation and stimulates creativity. It gives courage, promotes positive life choices, dispels apathy and motivates for success. Carnelian improves analytic abilities and clarifies perception. It sharpens concentration and dispels mental lethargy.
- Energises every level of life. It cleanses the chakras and opens the intuition. Citrine attracts wealth, prosperity and success. It imparts joy, wonder, delight and enthusiasm. Raises self-esteem and self-confidence. Stimulates the brain, strengthening the intellect. Citrine promotes motivation, activates creativity and encourages self-expression. Enhances concentration and revitalises the mind. It releases negative traits, depression, fears and phobias. Citrine
- Hematite grounds and protects us. It strengthens our connection with the earth, making us feel safe and secure. It endows us with courage, strength, endurance and vitality. A "stone for the mind", Hematite stimulates concentration and focus, enhancing memory and original thought. Hematite utilises the magnetic qualities of our yin-yang energies to balance the meridians within the body and to provide a stable equilibrium between the ethereal nervous system and the physical nervous system. It focuses energy and emotions for balance between the body, mind and spirit. Dissolves negativity and prevents you from absorbing the negativity of others. Haematite is strong, supporting timidity, boosting self-esteem and survivability, enhancing willpower and reliability, and imparting confidence. It helps to overcome compulsions and addictions, treating overeating, smoking and other forms of overindulgence.
- Fluorite cleanses and stabilises the aura. It absorbs and neutralises negative energy and stress. An excellent learning aid, Fluorite increases our powers of concentration, self-confidence and helps us in decision-making. It encourages positivity, balances the energies, and improves balance and coordination, both physically and mentally.
- Amazonite is a soothing stone. It calms the brain and nervous system and aids in maintaining optimum health. Balances the masculine and feminine energies. Amazonite helps you to see both sides of a problem or different points of view. It soothes emotional trauma, alleviating worry and fear. Dispels negative energy, aggravation and blockages within the nervous system. Amazonite assists in manifesting universal love.
- A stone for “new beginnings”, Moonstone is a stone of inner growth and strength. It soothes emotional instability and stress, and stabilises the emotions, providing calmness. Moonstone enhances intuition, promotes inspiration, success and good fortune in love and business matters.
- Sodalite brings order and calmness to the mind. It encourages rational thought, objectivity, truth and intuition, along with verbalisation of feelings. Sodalite brings emotional balance and calms panic attacks. It enhances self-esteem, self-acceptance and self-trust.
- Smokey Quartz is a grounding stone: it helps you come back to the body and physical world. It is also protective and purifying, with the ability to neutralises negative vibrations and detoxify on all levels. It's wonderful for protecting against radiation and electromagnetic smog. This stone can be helpful for people who may be feeling suicidal, as it lifts depression and negativity. It is a powerful stone for helping to alleviate anxiety, fear and stress. Smokey Quartz encourages positive thoughts, dispels nightmares and helps to manifest your dreams. Smokey Quartz
Next, on a piece of paper write a list of your intentions or wishes for the new year. These may be things you want to attract to your life or things you want to achieve over a set period, like the year ahead. Be specific. Also, be sure to write down some things you already feel grateful for. Take your time and focus on what it is that you really need within yourself and in your life right now. The focus should be on "needs" rather than "wants". When you’re done, read the intentions aloud that you have written on the paper, then fold it and place it down on the table or alter. Begin to lay down your crystals on top of the paper or around it, in a way that feels right to you intuitively, keeping your intentions in mind as you do it. There are no hard and fast rules here, just do what comes naturally to you and try not to overthink it. You may like to do a small crystal grid, in a circle or you may place them in a pile, it's completely up to you.Crystal Grid
If you would like to learn more about using crystals grid read here
I like to leave my grids or crystals for anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. But how long you leave yours is entirely up to you. You may choose to go that extra mile and do one out under the New Moon. Or you could even just do one, do a meditation with it and then pack it up straight away if you don't have the space to leave it set up or you are travelling. Whatever works for you is perfectly fine. It's the ritual of it all that is important and trusting in your own power and intuition.
Some people like to burn the piece of paper, others like to put it away and take it out at the end of the year to reflect on. Do what feels right for you. If you lit a candle, you can blow it out now and give thanks to the Universe, God, Mother Earth, the Moon, your crystals or whatever feels right for your personal beliefs. Just expressing that gratitude is really important, no matter where you chose to direct it.
The New Moon on January 25th* ( *in Australia, check your local times here
) is the perfect time for setting intentions, but you can do this New Year Intention Setting Ritual any time in the month of January. It's also a good idea to do an Intention Setting Ritual every month with the New Moon and you can read more about that here
For more information on crystals and how to use them, crystal grids, crystals as decor or smudging please visit our Blog
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.